Over the past week or so Marvel has been releasing images drawn by Mike Deodato showing divided characters who are said to have a “prominent” role in the upcoming Marvel Universe. Today, Marvel has finally revealed the whole picture with all of these characters and a few more.
The main image details a clear divide between two sets of characters. I’ve heard two conflicting theories about this divide. It could be to symbolise the younger generation of heroes (on the right) losing faith in the old guard (on the left). Another theory states that the left side is the more morally ambiguous set of characters, whilst those on the right are optimistic and morally clean.
Let’s have a closer look at who is in each of these sides. Firstly, we’ll start with the left hand side.
From left to right, it appears to be: Solo, Foolkiller, Jessica Jones, Daisy Johnson, Captain Marvel, Elektra, Thor Odinson, Dr Doom, Slapstick, Captain America (Steve Rogers), Black Panther, Gamora, and Cable. The identity of the large dinosaur-like foot is unclear at the moment. Bleedingcool.com has suggested that it may depict American Kaiju from the current New Avengers series, which I think is a good prediction. Although, I’ve also heard the name Fin Fang Foom mentioned.
What Are My Thoughts?
- I’m glad Jessica Jones is back in an apparently prominent role.
- Same goes for Odinson, and I think his new outfit looks awesome.
- Interesting that Cable is the only mutant in the whole teaser campaign.
- Why on earth are Solo, Foolkiller and Slapstick there? They must really be pushing Deadpool & The Mercs For Money as a flagship title.
- Dr Doom is holding an Iron Man helmet. Could he be the new Iron Man? Will Tony Stark die in Civil War 2? I sincerely hope not.
Onto the next one…
Again, from left to right: Gwenpool, Mosaic, Squirrel Girl, Ms America Chavez, All- New Wasp (Nadia Pym), Prowler, Moon Girl, War Machine (newly-introduced Riri Williams), Kate Bishop Hawkeye, Amadeus Cho Hulk, Miles Morales Spider-Man, Ms Marvel, and Doctor Strange.
What Are My Thoughts?
- I’m very interested in reading more about Mosaic (his first appearance was in this weeks Uncanny Inhumans #11 and was pretty intriguing)
- Seriously, Gwenpool?
- Really, really happy that Ms America Chavez is there. An openly LGBT character, not to mention a woman of colour, getting greater prominence is fantastic. Not to mention, she is also a character with serious storyline potential. For me personally, this is the bit I like the most about the teaser.
- Always happy to see Kamala Khan.
- I’m glad Kate Bishop is here over Clint Barton; I find Kate the far superior character.
- The presence of Doctor Strange seems to rule out the ‘Young vs Old Generation’ theory, as he isn’t quite the spring chicken.
- Very much the theme of legacy heroes with this teaser.
I must admit, I find it incredibly strange that some of Marvel’s biggest characters, like Peter Parker, Tony Stark, Jane Foster (Thor), Sam Wilson (Captain America), Ant-Man, Deadpool, Vision, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Storm, Wolverine, Old Man Logan, Cyclops, The Fantastic Four, Medusa, Black Bolt and Black Widow are all absent. You would assume that Marvel would really want to make sure that some of their heavy-hitters were there to attract more interest, especially from mainstream media.
I do suspect that many of these aforementioned characters will at least have some sort of role in Marvel NOW!, but these teasers imply that they clearly are not seen as a priority or focal point; which quite frankly puzzles me.
Honestly, I think the fact that these characters are missing symbolises everything wrong with the current Marvel product.
As you may recall from some of my previous posts, I was really looking forward to a great deal of the All-New, All-Different Marvel titles. Unfortunately, I feel very let down. Originally when ANAD Marvel began, I was picking up at least 15 series because I wanted to try and like as many as possible. Yet, here we are, just a few months later, and I currently buy 6 titles regularly. For anyone interested, those are; Ms Marvel, Vision, Daredevil, Power Man and Iron Fist, Black Panther, Uncanny Inhumans, and All-New Inhumans. Furthermore, All-New Inhumans has been cancelled, and Vision is wrapping up at the end of the current art, as Tom King has signed an exclusive deal with DC. This is not a good success rate for Marvel.
Ultimately, I cannot talk on behalf of all Marvel fans, but I just do not believe they have the quality writing that is necessary to hook me. Moreover, I think that the constant tampering with well-loved characters is alienating current fans. I briefly touched upon this in one of my previous posts, but when I pick up a Hulk title, I want to read about Bruce Banner. When I pick up a Thor title, I want to read about Odinson. I know it can be argued that these characters haven’t gone anywhere, you can still find them in old comics, but it simply isn’t the same.
Either way, I fear I may be straying off-topic. Basically, what I’m trying to say is that these ‘Divided We Stand’ teasers aren’t exciting me for many reasons, but mainly because it doesn’t feel like I will get to read the characters I love. I may get to read about a legacy hero, or perhaps I will actually get to read about the hero I actually want, but chances are they will suffer from a lack of real characterisation.
Whilst there is a few aspects of Marvel NOW! ‘Divided We Stand’ that I like; I am going to take a lot of convincing to completely accept it.
I will definitely try and keep an open mind- and will certainly give a good few of these new characters/status quos/series a fair chance. But as of right now, I’m not really eagerly anticipating reading these characters when so many of my beloved ones appear to be left in limbo.
Please, Marvel, please prove me wrong.